1. Save the Date: The selection for our Silver Anniversary Conference (25 consecutive years) has been made. We will soon invite you to come to our nation’s capital, Washington, DC, to meet key individuals in our new federal Administration (contacts and contracts), our international partners and to network with our national infrastructure. Mark your calendars and make your flight arrangements to be in DC during July 26th – 29th, 2017. Details will be unveiled week to week. You are going to have the time of your life!
2. EPA reaches out to help Small Business: We never thought we would see this day. The Environmental Protective Agency is hosting an event which will explore which regulations need to be altered or repealed in the attempt to make the EPA more small business friendly. We all should get involved.
4. This Airport says, “Consider Us”: The Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) executive staff wants to network with potential concessionaires and contractors who are seeking business. Maryland’s Lt. Governor Rutherford will be in attendance to meet all participants.
5. Bayou Bridge Pipeline is approaching Reality: This new oil pipeline stretching from booming Lake Charles to Baton Rouge, Louisiana is one step away from final approval. What is left is approval from the US Army Corps of Engineers. We are putting together a minority business program to start immediately after that. Thousands of jobs and millions of dollars are on the line.
6. Tax Reform via Congressional Blueprint: The NBCC hosted a media teleconference about the potential of Tax Reform emerging from Congress. It was very positive and accurately reported by Inside Sources.
7. A Tale of Two Nations: At one time Ghana and South Korea had similar Gross National Product (GNP’s). Today, they are light years apart. What happened?
8. Investing in America’s Diversity: It is my distinct pleasure to invite you to participate and support the National Black Chamber of Commerce’s (NBCC) Business Innovation for the Next Generation initiative.
This year, we’re delivering customized guidance and resources to help our future business leaders succeed. We’ve partnered with humble impact, a 501(c)3 that educates, accelerates, and invests in underserved communities to create and support an ecosystem where entrepreneurs learn from each other and experts.
Business Innovation for the Next Generation connects entrepreneurs to each other and the bigger business ecosystem to share their lessons broadly, ensure that the best ideas and tools spread, and to deliver more timely and greater impact.
The economic strength of black consumers is on the rise, accounting for a $2.5 trillion in annual purchasing power (an increase of 77% from 2000–2013). 50% of the black population are Millennials or younger. We’re challenging the forces at play with tackling why such a highly attractive consumer market has so far been technologically underserved, why investment arms don’t have good excuses like ‘pipeline’ or ‘not enough deal flow’ for having a weak network and lack of access to these deals, and if the investment community continues to invest in companies whose founders look the same as they always have and focus on solving the problems of the people that they always have, results (and returns) will not hold up to the coming changes…because the world is shifting under their feet.