1. All Aboard for Cuba! February 1 - 5, 2017: A handful of spaces are available. Get ready, prepare yourself for the day that the last of the sanctions have ended. Register here.
2. NBCC Friend goes to the White House: We are so excited that Ja'Ron Smith has been appointed to the White House Office of Urban Affairs. Formerly a staffer with Senator Tim Scott's office, Ja'Ron will work closely with all departments of Domestic Policy which include: Treasury, Justice, Commerce, Labor, Health and Human Services, HUD, Transportation, Energy and Education and the Environmental Protection Agency. The President Elect is obviously serious about bringing in the best to solve our urgent issues. Things are getting better already!
3. We support the Regulatory and Accountability Act (H.R. 185/S. 2006): "This bill will streamline and bring transparency to the regulatory process, ensuring that our farmers, ranchers and small businesses are not regulated out of business. Increasing transparency and accountability will give those who will actually feel the impact of proposed regulations, rather than Washington bureaucrats, a larger voice in the process." Co-Sponsor Rep. Colin Peterson (D-MN7).
4. Fighting Government-Mandated Project Labor Agreements in 2017: We are maintaining the pressure to end expensive, discriminatory PLAs throughout the nation - state by state. There have been victories in most states and that number is on the rise. Eventually we will eradicate them from the construction universe completely.
5. Bonding Support in New Jersey: KUDOs go to President John Harmon of the New Jersey African American Chamber of Commerce for driving through a new bonding assistance program for his constituents. We thank Governor Chris Christie for recognizing the need in this area. Here is the photo of the Governor signing it into law as John Harmon and board members look on.
6. Stepping up for an Ambassadorship. One of these guys standing here with the President Elect may become Ambassador to a very important African nation.
7. Small Business Committee: The House Small Business Committee has pledged to make a better way in the handling of its business. Yes, 2017 is shaping up in a very promising way.
8. Dr. Ben Carson: The Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs set the date for Carson's confirmation hearing for Secretary, Housing and Urban Development. The hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 12, at 10 a.m. Eastern. We believe Dr. Carson would bring commitment to this huge responsibility and look forward to working with him.