1. U.S. East African Community Roundtable – Feb. 23rd: You are all invited to participate in a Roundtable on the Proposed U.S.-East African Community Commercial Dialogue at the U.S. Department of Commerce Headquarters on Thursday, February 23rd from 9AM – 10AM. RSVP’s are due TODAY.
2. Act Now to Block Harmful Pharmacy Merger: The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is considering whether to allow mega-pharmacy benefit corporations Express Scripts Inc., and Medco Health Solutions to merge. As we told you last week, this merger will increase prescription drug prices and force many community pharmacies out of business, making it harder for patients to access the medications and services they need. Because the merger will have a disproportionately negative impact on African Americans, we encourage all NBCC members to speak out against it by signing onto an open letter opposing this harmful merger. Visit the Take Action section of the Preserve Community Pharmacy Access NOW! (PCPAN) Coalition website to be sure your voice is heard. For more information on NBCC’s position against the merger, please read, Harry Alford’s, NBCC co-founder, President and CEO, recent article, Your Pharmacy May Be In Danger.
3. Changing of the Chair Slideshow: We want to thank all of the participants of our recent Changing of the Chair event on February 7. The following is a link to a slideshow of the event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSin-iHvUp8.
4. Bid Opportunity for National Museum of African American History and Culture: Contracting opportunities are available for construction of the Smithsonian’s new National Museum of African American History and Culture. A pre-bid meeting for the Vertical Transportation, Miscellaneous Metals and MEP to Grade (Package #5) will be held on March 6. The RFP will be released in March 2012 with an expected contract award in May 2012. This project has serious goals and will be managed by Clark/Smoot/Russell. (more)
5. NBCC vs. EPA: The US Environmental Protection Agency has issued the Utility MACT Rule. This will be the most expensive regulation in the history of our nation. It will close utility plants, end hundreds of thousands of jobs and triple your monthly utility bills. The Press doesn’t want to talk about it. We have decided to go to court and fight this “Armageddon”. Our future is at stake!
6. Register for Convention: “Good Policy Leads to a Great Economy” is our theme and gives you a hint of what we will be discussing. We will be in Atlanta at the Four Seasons, check out the discounted hotel prices.
7. 2012 Dues! It’s simple, just click here!